E-learning module «Navigation and Sailing directions» is intended to train navigators in accordance with Chapter II of STCW Code.
ELM «Navigation and Sailing directions» content:
Navigation and its role and place in ship’s operation:
- The purpose and objectives of the discipline. Level of training.
- Place of navigation among other sciences of ship’s operation.
Basic concepts of navigation and sailing directions:
- Shape and models of the Earth.
- Geographic coordinates: latitude, longitude.
- Difference in latitude (D’LAT) and difference in longitude (D’LONG).
- Sea direction counting systems. Use of gyrocompasses.
- Terminology of nautical units of length and speed. Using lags.
- Range of visibility of landmarks and lights.